Yes! you can judge me but I did
what I did because I had to do it, even though I can’t look myself in the eye
right about now but I did it and that’s it. Really I wish I could detach myself
from the girl that I have become but how can I? Biodun had come home that day
frustrated after attending another job interview of “we will get back to you
later’, she refused to talk to any of us and I just knew she was going to crash
if something didn’t come up for her soon. Mum had threatened her a week before
that she had to get a job or stop being another mouth to be fed in the house.
It wasn’t Mum’s fault either, after training four children all by herself, she
deserved to be left alone with her meager salary, she has a house full of
graduates with no one having something to call a proper job. She was so
understanding when we all came back home one after the other after the NYSC but
the house rent had to be paid, four mouths still needed to be fed, bills were to
be paid, and of course the four of us had to depend on her for everything, I
guess of course she needed to transfer her frustrations on someone to ease off,
Biodun being the eldest daughter was just the scapegoat, the other reason being
her refusal to marry the ‘okay’ guys coming around but to wait for a better
offer. Don’t blame us yet, we tried, our first Born Deji almost lost his life
during the FRSC nationwide recruitment and his right leg had become limped as a
result of that, it was only last year that he packed his things to go run
‘whatever things’ with a friend of his in Sagamu.
You could say mum was still fair
to me being the youngest but I wasn’t seeing things the way my other two
sisters saw it, they wanted it honourably but it wasn’t coming their way, they
kept applying here and there but come home perturbed. Kemi my other sister had to take up crèche assistance
with a little money to keep body and soul but Biodun an engineer would have it
no other way. our rented two bedroom flat wasn’t what any friend could come
visit in, it was all dirty because of all the old stuff, the curtains, chairs
and all were just out of description and colour and I envisaged things could go
on like that if mum retires next year with nothing to live on from us, she might
just die as one unhappy woman who spent her all on the children who were unable
to give back. So I developed a plan, girls who work in the big companies
weren’t more brilliant than me but were just smarter so I joined the wagon,
nobody cares where you work, just make a name for yourself, be the big girl in
your own right, share exploits on BB, FB, TW and maintain it.
You may not know but it happened
to me so I know that you attract your kind of personalities, after developing
some good moves, people of like minds became my pals, I stared singing in the
clubs at least that’s what mum and the rest of them knows but really it’s not
that I am sleeping around its just stripping.
But oh boy! Money keeps rolling into my purse, I have a manager who arranges
all the places we go but it doesn’t go beyond showing, I actually don’t do the
real thing. People believe we are into one creative concept, but you don’t want
to know all I do every night. well I am making contacts having met with some
bigwigs to get my sisters a job but even now, things have really changed, the
house has turned new, bills are paid on time, food is in the store, good
clothes are being worn, mum smiles more often, though she knows I am doing more
than singing but has decided to turn a blind eye. My other sisters are enjoying
all of it and I am sure I am getting them something soon because deals are
underway. It’s so amazing how you might not be able to see eye to eye with
crème de la crème during the day but have them watch you like the blockbuster movie
of the century at night.
Well, now my brother has come
home after hearing of my exploits, I thought he went to run things too but he
came back all born again, a tutor in a secondary school. According to him, it’s
a brand new kind of life, though he looks it but his preaching is so disturbing
to my very soul. Business has been very bad for me ever since he came home, mum
had become so soft crying to him as if he was God himself, in his own viewpoint,
poverty had driven us to a dangerous corner especially mum and my sisters who
had rejoiced in my daring acts. He scolded them because they knew I had
something up my sleeves other than singing, his word have been hunting us down
because we all love each other but what can I do? I don’t want to go back to
that life where I can’t even do things I wish to do because I had no money or
buy a gift for my mother on her
birthday, how long do I know she has left anyway? And if I keep waiting for
things to turn around when will my life start?
Deji had explained to us all
that meeting family/personal needs is never an excuse for bad behavior, I don’t
know how to tell all of them the actual truth but Deji has helped me to confess
it to God. But temptations abound greatly, my contacts are calling me for money
and my manager has threatened to dump me, yet no job is forthcoming. Deji says
to believe, but it’s hard, he has offered to take me along to his place so as
to stabilize in my new faith but it’s not so easy going back to living a life
of needs and not wants but I am climbing my mountain one step at a time. Though
you can judge me but…………..it was just that I allowed my feelings to take over
the right judgment. If God surely has a
better life for me I think I want to hang in there to taste and see whether he
is good or not.

No comments:
Post a Comment